Monday, October 6, 2008

I'll have the plate of content with a side of truth please

Negative ads and inflammatory semi-truths are just wearing me out. I'm totally over them and I think the American public is too! On NPR there was a great program that fact checked both the Democrat's and Republican's content in their attack ads and touches on the public's feelings about negative ads. I found it particularly interesting that when candidates fall behind in the polls they are more likely to run attack ads. In this interview with Stephen Marks, the author of The Confessions of a Political Hitman, he also addresses the attack ad as 'last ditch' approach. One of my professors recommended his book and, after seeing this interview as well, it's on my ever expanding list of books to read.



Ideally, this is what I want for the remainder of the political season . . . positive speeches with real content and ads which summarize what candidates will do once they're in office. This is how we develop an informed public and promote a political system which allows us to vote based on issues not fear and other knee-jerk reactions. So, can I have that please, PLEASE!

No comments: