Friday, September 26, 2008

Both Sides of the Aisle



I felt compelled to write my congressman after I saw this video. It was very emotional to hear all the I think exerting our rights and responsibilities as American citizens is essential to to having a country and government which reflects our values. If you're moved to write your congressperson you can go to: house.gov.

If you're interested, what I wrote is below:

Dear Congressman,

As a constituent, I am writing you to respectfully request that you do not support the current $700 Billion bailout package for Wall Street.

As this bailout is currently written, sufficient oversight is not assured, companies are not held accountable for their actions, and the American taxpayer is left paying for financial institutions' mistakes. We, the American people, need assurances to be made, which protect us and not the financial institutions that have gotten us into this crisis.

I think Newt Gingrich said it best in his interview on All Things Considered Sept. 22nd, 2008 when he stated, "I think we need to slow down, take a deep breath, hold public hearings, have experts testify, understand exactly what the agreement would be, where the money would go, how we would account for it. I don't think the taxpayers should be socked for $700 billion for welfare for Wall Street. I think it's fundamentally wrong, and I think that it is very likely to create a bureaucratic control of our financial system in a way that will cripple us for 20 years."

If we bail these companies out unequivocally, we are in essence privatizing their gains and socializing their losses. I am a firm believer in the American democratic tradition, our constitutional rights, and oversight of our capitalist economy. Please stand up for what makes America great by protecting all our citizens not just our wealthiest and most powerful!

Sincerely,
Me

No comments: